In the past, CharterSAFE has required schools to obtain separate liquor liability insurance. Under the current year's liability coverage, there is no exclusion. While this is not an exposure that we welcome, there is coverage.
That said, we do expect risk management techniques to be utilized:
- Organizers must follow applicable laws relating to age verification. No one under the legal age - or who doesn't have an ID on their person - should be served.
- A method of limiting consumption should be instituted, e.g. maximum of two drink coupons per person, or (less preferable) charging a substantial amount that will naturally inhibit sales.
- Hire a qualified bartender from a vendor (caterer, etc.) that carries its own liability insurance.
- No alcohol on campus at any time.
- There should be a placard or some other form of notice that is readily visible that reminds attendees to drink responsibly and reminds them there is a two-drink limit.
- Attendees should be informed that the event organizers or bartenders will call a cab for them if they feel they should not drive after the event. This could be done by the Master of Ceremonies, or it could be posted at tables or the bar.
The JPA understands the importance of fundraising events to its members. However, the serving and sale of alcohol places a serious financial and moral responsibility upon the member organizations. Courts have adopted a zero-tolerance approach to DUI, and the penalties are severe.