New I-9 Form
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued a new I-9 form. By January 23, 2017 this form should be used exclusively. Until January 23, 2017, the old form (Expiration date 8/31/16) may be used.
We are providing both a paper copy
of the form you may print and a fillable form that can be completed on your computer
. You will find these forms on our website.
According to USCIS, there are several changes in the new version to help reduce technical errors, including:
- Section 1 asks for “other last names used” rather than “other names used,” and streamlines certification for certain foreign nationals.
- The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly.
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- A dedicated area for including additional information rather than having to add it in the margins.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.
In addition, the instructions for completing the Form I-9 are now separate from the form and include specific instructions for completing each field.
According to USCIS, the revised Form I-9 is easier to complete on a computer. Enhancements include drop-down lists and calendars for filling in dates, on-screen instructions for each field, easy access to the full instructions and an option to clear the form and start over. When the employer prints the completed form, a quick response (QR) code is automatically generated, which can be read by most QR readers.
If you have further questions, contact CharterSAFE HR Specialist, Sharon Stull at firstname.lastname@example.org